Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_terryberry

How to remove coffee stain from granite

Mike Terryberry
14 days ago

I'm new to Houzz. Not even sure this is the appropriate forum for the issue I'm having, but here it goes...

I have a coffee stain in my granite countertop from my 1-cup coffee maker. I did some research and was advised to mix water with baking soda into a paste, apply it to the stain, and let it sit overnight. So, that's exactly what I did. I was dismayed to check my countertop this morning, only to see that the baking soda didn't put a dent in the stain. However, the article also cautioned against using acidic solutions on granite (i.e. vinegar, etc). Does anyone know of an effective DIY or store bought cleaning agent that will remove this stain without damaging the granite? TIA

Comments (15)

• shirlpp
    14 days ago

Did you use hydrogen peroxide in the baking soda paste as well? Did you cover it with cling wrap?

• Mike Terryberry
    Original Author
    14 days ago

No. I wasn't aware that hydrogen peroxide was an option. Are you sure it's safe to use on granite? Also, why does it have to be covered with cling wrap? Is that due to fumes?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    14 days ago

You want the #40 hydrogen peroxide from the beauty supply store, not the stuff in your medicine cabinet. The cling wrap just slows evaporation. Good luck.

• chispa
    14 days ago

I've had a similar white/gray/black speckled granite and I used Lysol with bleach to get out wine and other stains. Spray on, let sit for 5 minutes, wipe off and then wipe with damp paper towels a couple of times.

• Mike Terryberry
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Hi Chispa,

How well did the Lysol work? Please send me a link to the actual product so I can see if it's available in my area, thanks.

• Amanda Smith
    14 days ago

I recently had a problem with a tomato sauce stain on my granite. I tried baking soda but it didn’t work. Then used hydrogen peroxide. No results. Went on vacation for a week and when I came back, no more stain! I can only conclude the hydrogen peroxide penetrated the granite.

• Mike Terryberry
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Hi Amanda,

Another poster recommended I use hydrogen peroxide but #40(?), not the stuff you'd pick up at Walmart. Did you use just regular hydrogen peroxide (like the 3% stuff)? Also, did you mix it with anything else (like baking soda)? How did you actually apply it; like, with a sponge, for example?

• Amanda Smith
    14 days ago

I used regular drugstore hydrogen peroxide. Put a generous amount on using a Q tip.

• Amanda Smith
    14 days ago

I used it full strength. Good luck!

• Mike Terryberry
    Original Author
    14 days ago

OK. Thanks, Amanda. I'll give it a go.

• Andee
    13 days ago

All the above are OK, but don’t use acid ( vinegar, lemon juice). And be very careful using 40% peroxide. Wear gloves in all cases.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 days ago

Mike, don't be afraid to follow Joseph Corlett's suggestions. He likely knows more and has more experience with countertop surfaces than the rest of us combined. If he suggests 40% peroxide for coffee - use it. Do cover with saran or cling wrap.

• Mike Terryberry
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Amanda,

I tried the 3% HP on the stain last night. Covered it with a plastic cup to slow evaporation. Well, I just uncovered it a few minutes ago and the "darkness" of the stain seems to be diminished. However, it's still plainly visible. So, I may have to apply several "treatments" in order to make it disappear entirely. If that doesn't work, I'll have to find myself some #40 HP if I can.

• shirlpp
    12 days ago

Did you follow the directions exactly?

• Mike Terryberry
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Shiripp,

I just applied a baking soda/peroxide mixture to the stain. More like a 2:1 ratio because otherwise it's too runny. Covered and will let it stand overnight. As long as it looks like the stain is diminishing I'll keep treating it until it's completely gone.