Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connieivers

Suggestion for window behind sofa. Can't open shutters.

connieivers
8 years ago

Comments (19)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

bought the wrong direction did we? tehehe

can you turn it around and put the chair on that side? I know you probably thought of it, but we can get flustered and forget.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

and i tried so hard not to point out the obvious! rofl

dear op do not take it personally I am actually laughing at darzy and i. lol

• connieivers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Unfortunately my living room isn't big enough for this. I already had the shutters. The fireplace caused redirection of the sofa.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

How low do the windows come on that wall? I would pull the sofa out from the wall as far as you can to give you the space you need & place a sofa table behind the sofa with a lamp on it. You can also add some drapery panels over the shutters or to each side of the shutters.

connieivers thanked sandradclark
  • Darzy
    8 years ago

connieivers...if you "float" the sofa in the middle of the room it will work. Just position the sofa facing the fireplace about 6 feet away - centered. Then, the chair where the floor lamp is.

connieivers thanked Darzy
  • calidesign
    8 years ago

Pull the sofa out 4-6 inches from the wall, and use roman shades instead of the shutters.

connieivers thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    8 years ago

Perhaps sharing a project or two will help? Notice the window treatments.

Azalea Cottage - Living Room · More Info

Living Room · More Info

connieivers thanked Bayberry Cottage
  • Elissa Maxim
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I know I'm late to the party but I am having the same problem . My furniture is blocking shutters & I cannot open them to clean the window sills, which have accumulated mold. I am now regretting I chose shutters and want to switch them out for horizontals.

• jackowskib
    13 days ago

I would imagine the furniture would be moved for the occasional cleaning of windows/shutters. Is this not possible?

• Elissa Maxim
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

jackowskib It's a heavy couch, not really practical for ongoing cleaning. I may have to just move it away some distance as others have said above. In learning this though, I think shutters on large/low windows waste wall space that can otherwise be used for furniture because they hold the window hostage behind their doors.

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

Saw the shutters in half horizontally. Keep the lower shutters always closed and the upper shutters open or closed.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Get rid of the shutters. They look like doors.

• Elissa Maxim
    13 days ago

TanCalGal - Sawing is an interesting idea. I could reach down & clean the sill through the top doors.

Shady - IKR

• Cara Fidler
    12 days ago

I would remove the shutters then and replace them with some pretty curtains or a nice shade or roman shades so that you can let some light in.

• Andee
    12 days ago

How far open will the shutters go? All the way back against the wall? If so, you can open them permanently and put a shade or curtains behind. The shutters would become a “decor” item on the wall behind the sofa. And it might help to post a floor plan with dimensions, and a couple of more pictures to get help.

• PRO
    lisedv
    11 days ago

Perhaps if you post additional photos and a floorplan showing all dimensions including windows, doors, entrances we'd be able to understand the room better in order to give you valuable suggestions.

• jackowskib
    11 days ago

A very old post lol.

• Elissa Maxim
    11 days ago

Andee that sounds like a very good & novel idea, I haven't heard that yet. Lisedv & Andee I will work on posting a photo.