Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredpenn

Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project

rredpenn
10 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term garottage) on a lot behind our house this summer. It will function as garage space (mainly boat/shed storage) with simple guest quarters above. Our original garottage is pictured above... Haha, it was truly a garROTage, built in 1940, I think. It was torn down last fall. Please don't bother telling me how to fix THAT garottage--IT'S GONE NOW! :) I used it as the dilemma icon to remind me how far we'll get with something "snazzier". :)

To be economical, we're planning on a 2-story structure. The new garottage must meet city code and have more living than garage space--61% living space--but the city is allowing a screened porch to count as living (Yay!) so we want to incorporate that on the structure. We hope to get 2br, 1 bath, a kitchen(ette) and laundry from the living space above, and a large-ish garage space below. This is a summer vacation spot and family/guest overflow space is what we're after!

We're meeting with the city planner and our builder/carpenter this weekend. We have some general ideas from looking at plans online, but have not purchased any yet. We'll know more soon about what we can and can't do after talking to our people here.

I don't have a specific dilemma/question yet, but started the thread to have a spot to be able to do that. I'm sure I'll have TONS of things I'll need opinions about! So, I'd appreciate any feedback as this project moves along! I'm terrible at envisioning things, and more terrible at decorating, so I hope the feedback, suggestions, advice and encouragement will keep me sane and make this a snazzy garottage worthy of the lovely setting it's on. Thank you! :)

Comments (140K)

• ladma
    3 days ago

Duckie, that so sad about your clematis! My perennial one struggles, I think rabbits nibble on it.
    Rred,
    Deer don’t touch my spireas, yours might be safe

• Missy Bee
    3 days ago

137,000 comments. Really? At this point who cares?

rredpenn thanked Missy Bee
  • samoken
    3 days ago

I care.

• kcooz07
    3 days ago

Me too.

• Alice Edwards
    3 days ago

I care too Missy Bee!

• Alice Edwards
    3 days ago

Ugly personalities don’t belong here!

• nwduck
    3 days ago

Well, here's someone who doesn't get how this 10 year thread evolved. Mores the pity.

• jayapple21
    3 days ago

Missy Bee, that’s amazing, isn’t it? And so much of it has had to do with renovating and/or redecorating existing homes, making changes and improvements in the landscapes and gardens of these homes, finding the plusses in new locations after a move, and just supporting online friends who are trying to make their homes and family activities the best they can be. Kind of what Houzz.com was intended to be all along. 🪴

• babophz
    3 days ago

Luscious Lois, great! She is going to live inside, no?

Sorry about the clematis, duckie. The house must look and feel a bit barren without it.

• fissfiss
    3 days ago

I don’t know much about evergreen clematis in the NW, but around here they will grow back from the roots. Hoyas like good light and drainage….and those long, leafless tendrils are flower stalks. Their flower looks far too pretty to belong to the plant! Do you have enough light in your new bathroom for Phil, Rred?she would look so cool in there. Spirea can be invasive, I spend quite a bit of time removing them from my woods. In descending order of nuisance at my house, Japanese knotweed, oriental bittersweet, multiflora rose, Russian olive, comfrey, then spirea. It does not choke others, it does not hurt me….
    Speaking of Jenna Phipps, my 19 year old niece is also obsessed. I could not think of a better “real” role model. But also, it makes us “hip” and “cool”, right?
    Missy Bee, we all have free will, if this thread does not interest you, don’t click on it. But leaving a comment, even a negative one, just makes it look even better!

• ladma
    3 days ago

So far,we haven’t had to deal with knotweed, but bittersweet and now, garlic mustard are the worse offenders. Beauty bush spews out babies like crazy, but they are easy to pull.

• glschisler
    3 days ago

The calm after the storm!

• glschisler
    3 days ago

We never had a problem with our Golden Spirea. And we just cut it back about every 3-5 yrs like we did the lilacs and other woody shrubs.

• liasch
    3 days ago

Stunning colour on that fern leaf peony. Yum!

Hummers are slowly arriving. Jays are cranking up. Bugs are increasing. News…nope…I get a newspaper and that is enough.

Purchased my summer container plants though I cannot put them out. If you snooze you lose around here. The stuff flies off the shelves.

• liasch
    3 days ago

Missy Bee…ummm…obviously, everyone here, cares. But if this isn’t your cup of tea, feel free to move on.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Yeah. What they all said up there.

It took me a while to even feel like I could say anything, so thanks for chiming in, you all.

Keep on truckin'. That's my motto. Serves me pretty well, mostly. It applies here.

Otherhalf has Lyme disease again. Doxycycline and stay out of the woods. This time, doctor's orders.

It's raining. I have been cleaning blinds and windows. The nitty gritty of keeping a house... Somebody's gotta do it.

• liasch
    2 days ago

NW I second that comment about the clematis. I would be very surprised if it doesn’t come back from the roots.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

My clematis would totally come back if cut back. It may not bloom, but that is a great root system in there, and it will claw itself back to life if given time. Sort of like me. LOL

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

The philo, Lois, will certainly love the spa bath at home, which will be her new home when summer is over. The hoya will no doubt succumb to winter blahs, unless I invest in a grow light/shelf system. I have no luck with those plants but I'm willing to try again.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Time for a clematis joke. It's worth repeating, imo. LOL

• nwduck
    2 days ago

OMG Dying laughing.

Jenn's new video dropped today, as usual on Wednesday. Tonight I managed to get OH hooked, He saw the first episode, the second episode, skipped to the pool, and on to today's. This pair has sort of supernatural physical powers. The work they do is backbreaking, in my view.

• jayapple21
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Sitting here laughing out loud. This is the best sports story in a long time... scroll down for the video - and scroll further for the 'ending'. 😄🦝

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/raccoon-field-stops-play-mls-014643620.html

• liasch
    2 days ago

Lol… that’s probably auto correct? Looks like the kind of thing it would do.
    Look at this vintage number. It’s a Tonka that is circa 1994. I’m giving it away on the buy nothing Facebook site. I posted that I’m not giving it away to the first person who wants it; they have to tell me what they’re going to do with it. Currently the winner is a woman with two little girls age 3 and five and they run a construction business. Her husband is certified to work with big machinery like excavators… and he’s going to train his girls when they get old enough. And of course because their dad runs big machines the two little girls are seriously into it. The mom is going to re-paint the Tonka. You probably think I’m nuts… but I’ve had a hard time giving this up. It’s sat around in my garage for years as part of the beach toys. Works fine, amazingly.

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 days ago

LOL Jay! That raccoon was hauling! Poor thing... I sort of felt sorry for it. Then I wondered how they dealt with it after trapping it under the trash can. I have questions!

The Tonka is very much loved and will continue to get loved, Lia. New paint will be amazing! I hope she sends you photos! :)

• kcooz07
    yesterday

LOL, I thought I was the only one that felt sorry for the raccoon. Poor thing had no where to go.

• jayapple21
    yesterday

You all are going to think I have nothing to do except find things that make me laugh on the internet today. That's OK. Laughing is good. Here's a photo I just saw of the British royals from an occasion today followed by someone's comment. The comment made me smile...

The comment:

"Reminds me when Carol Burnett ripped down the curtains in the gone with the wind skit in the 70s".

😊

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

Omg lol Jay, I so remember that. The green curtains and the rod was still in!!!! 😂We used to laugh at that show so hard!!! And Sorrryyyy!!!! 😆

• ladma
    yesterday

“ I saw them in the window, and I I just had to have them” or something like that. It was a classic.

• glschisler
    yesterday

Jay, that’s what I thought too when I saw that picture…😆

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    yesterday

My Cyster has the entire collection of Carol Burnett shows on DVD... Someday, I mean to borrow them. LOL

• babophz
    yesterday

I don't know Carol Burnett but the curtain reference made sense to me anyway!

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    yesterday

Yesterday was the milestone day for Lurch.

He got a hold of his iPad, and hit the right button, and CALLED ME, ALL ON HIS OWN.

ROFL

He didn't now how to continue w the connection (there is one more critical button to hit), but on my end, I could hear him breathing, and then he hit another button and it disconnected on his end.

So I texted his mom, and alerted her to the fact that he is now dangerous on the iPad. LOLOL

It was adorable, tho.

And later, we had a scheduled, parentally-approved, playdate on Caribu after dinner. He is really getting adept at manipulating the touch screen (obviously) and was able to choose colors, stickers, move the stickers around, and choose different "actititees" on the pages.

And when it was time to go, he pitched a monumental Terrible Two Tantrum about it. He was having so much fun at "Games wif Mimi!" and didn't wanna stop.

He chose the orange eyeball stickers himself, and dragged them to the Wheel places on the car all by himself! And put the battery there on the hood. ROFL Looks good there!

And then, he finally figured out how to scroll thru the different colors for the drawing tool, and had a blast trying out every single possible color!

I was SO PROUD of him!

• babophz
    yesterday

Oooh, so cute!

• ladma
    yesterday

Babo, Carol Burnett is a comedienne, she had a sketch comedy show in the 70’s. One of the classics is the Scarlett OHara one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZavCkl9mY

• liasch
    yesterday

Babo, I never saw that show either. We didn’t have a television when I was growing up and so my USA television viewing was severely limited.

However like you I did understand the curtain reference… L O L. Who thought those robes were a good idea? 🤪

• liasch
    yesterday

Thanks, Ladma! My entertainment for the day.🤣

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    23 hours ago

I think we as a family watched the Gone With the Wind sketch on Carol Burnett's show the first time it aired!

It has withstood the test of time, too. It's still as funny now as it was then.

• fissfiss
    23 hours ago

Today, I was mothering…drove to Lexington to drop off a pair of thrifted mid mod mirrors to my eldest.
    Stopped at Mahoney’s in Winchester to pick up a particular plant for TSFP…a Black Lace elderberry.
    Stopped at the NH Liquor Store on the way home…Italian wines 20% off if you buy a case. Which I may or may not have taken advantage of….interstate transport of liquor is fraught with obscure rules.

• ladma
    21 hours ago

We opened the pool, it’s a little greener than I hoped, but it should clear up in a few days.

• ladma
    21 hours ago

Most of the old Carol Burnett skits still hold up. Harvey Korman and Tim Conway were hilarious, too

• babophz
    15 hours ago

Turns out I did recognise her face after all. The part where she wore the curtain with the pole still in it made me laugh out loud. And all the tassels, LOL! Thanks for the link, ladma!

• jayapple21
    11 hours ago

lia, my Dad and Mom never had a lot of money. They bought a piece of property and with the help of a few friends built my childhood house themselves. It didn't even have city utilities at the time - those came a bit later. My Dad had apparently always been interested in electronics, and at one time I think he was studying a course in electronics, but to feed his family he became an auto mechanic when I was little. Post WW II, not a lot of spare $. I can still remember my mother's reaction when, around 1948-49, Daddy came home with a black and white TV. Nobody we knew had one of those yet. It was probably one of the original 'the Devil made me do it' things but this new electronic gadget was more than my Daddy could ignore. My brother and I would catch 'Kukla, Fran, and Ollie' after school and everyone watched shows like 'The Carol Burnette Show' sitting together as a family unit. Somehow Mom and Dad eventually paid for that TV and the marriage held together. 😊

• samoken
    9 hours ago

In 1950 (or 51) there was a big snowstorm in Springfield Ohio where my sister was born. During that storm my mother and grandmother broke into my grandfather’s piggy bank, walked downtown with the baby, and bought a black and white TV. He had been saving his money for something, he just didn’t know it was that.

• ladma
    8 hours ago

Jay, my parents built their house, too. , the town owned the land and sold lots to returning vets for $100,

• ladma
    8 hours ago

They never had a mortgage, and went to the lumber yard each week with their paycheck and bought the supplies they used each weekend. Dad had a friend the was a plumber, and another was an electrician, so that helped! When my sister was born, the inside was finished enough for them to move in. She was born in January, dad wanted to buy my mom a celebratory present. She asked for a TV, thinking it would be good to have in the middle of a NE winter with a new baby. They had that TV until we bought them a colored tv for their 25th wedding anniversary in 1973

• jayapple21
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

Before colored TVs became common - and affordable - I recall my Dad buying this plastic-like sheet that you attached OVER the black and white TV screen. The sheet was already colored with green at the bottom, blue at the top, and I think a reddish-brown in the center. It was supposed to show blue skies, brownish land/buildings, and green grass. As I recall, it was awful. And it probably didn't stay attached to the TV for long... 🙄

OMG! I found some photos...

• liasch
    5 hours ago

Omg Jay… I sent those photos off to my two sons. Who have literally an entire wall of their living room covered with the television set.

• glschisler
    3 hours ago
    last modified: 3 hours ago

My parents were the first on the street to own a tv in the late 40’s. Mom always watched Arthur Godfrey. I learned how to do the hula at age 3 watching his show. We bought my dad a color Zenith tv one year for Christmas. I brought from the store to my condo. Then brother #2 had a family van it could fit into easily. They picked it up Christmas morning on the way to my parents, and I followed them in my car. After everyone opened their gifts, my 4 brothers all went to the van to haul it up the stairs to their living room. They lived in a split foyer home. ( or raised ranch.) We told my dad to unwrap it. It was the first time I ever saw my dad speechless and overwhelmed! It was the best gift and surprise!😀

• glschisler
    3 hours ago

One of the neighbors I babysat for said, “ L, we have a color tv for you to watch tonight.” It was the screen plastic overlays. I burst out laughing!🙄

• rredpenn
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

ROFL Look at Leonard Nimoy's and Shatner's almost lifelike skin tones vs. that of "Bones," the good Dr. McCoy (DeForest Kelley). He looks as if he's seen a ghost!

That is hilarious Jay! I am gonna screen shot that for old time's sake!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor