Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alandb801

Alcove bathtub with tile face that is not a drop-in

Is there a bathtub where I can tile the front face and it be inline with the front lip? Not a drop-in where there is a ledge that the tub sits on. Is there a name for the type of front face that does not have a front skirt?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    lisedv
    14 days ago
  • PRO
    Alan Baily, Architect
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks for the link but it is not specific enough. I need make and model # of the specific tub that was used.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

You mean as this.....

Technically an "a skirtless alcove tub"

The very minimal flange "deck" IS the tub, so no hump, no huge deck, though it is technically a "drop in but you are building the support beneath that flange

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/fine-fixtures-alcove-60-x-30-drop-in-soaking-fiberglass-bathtub-finf1104.html?piid=15251720

You can do same with a Kohler Underscore

( it's a great tub, according to clients)

• PRO
    Alan Baily, Architect
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks. I have noticed that tub but it is not a manufacturer I am familiar with. My understanding is it needs to be an alcove tub to have the proper flange against the three walls. There may be a waterproofing issue on those sides. I don't think a drop-in tub has that. The Kohler appears to be a drop-in. Also, my preference is for a 36" wide tub. I Just came across a Kohler 6036 that might work. I would appreciate any comments. https://www.build.com/kohler-k-1142-l/s558006?uid=156270

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    13 days ago

The specs say that the Kohler model above only has a 25 in wide tub. Why waste another foot and not get anything for it?

• PRO
    Zumi
    13 days ago

Kohler Archer has several options with the integral tiling flange and no skirt.

• PRO
    Alan Baily, Architect
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Jan Moyer, I spent time in the Kohler showroom and the best that was suggested was the Underscore model. I wasn't impressed with his knowledge on this but we were also looking at other items. My other annoyance is the lack of color choices that are consistent through different product lines so they all match.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    13 days ago

As someone with a beige bathroom from the 90's, why would you want any other color than white? My kids have older ho,mes also and it is a problem even getting toilet seats to match. Keep it simple!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Spoken like an Architect? welcome to MY world: )

"My other annoyance is the lack of color choices that are consistent through different product lines so they all match".

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

Lets do warm brass faucets, and cabinet hardware and towel bar! Shall we?

Ps

I just checked Duravit for you. Nope! You have to give up the 36 inch width or be very limited, or re think your plan: )

Again,welcome to my world as you attempt the unicorn.

• PRO
    Alan Baily, Architect
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Very slowly I have been finding the unicorns. I also have a wife who has design opinions. The tile selection has taken about 4 months (wall tile, two accent tiles and the floor tile). We're finalizing the floor tile soon. The Kohler rep has verified that the 1142 should work. I will verify with the contractor. As for context, I live in a prewar apartment (coop) in NYC. The issue of venting to the outside through an exterior window that would have to get Landmark Commission approval may be one or two bridges too far but we will investigate the expense and the time frame. The approval might take six months and is doable only if the contractor can leave a minimal amount undone until approved. I am resigned that all tub and toilet will be white as they are likely to be from different manufacturers (we are looking at a Toto bidet). The countertop is white onyx and we are looking at the Kohler glass sink.

• G W
    13 days ago

Look at Maax Pose. There are lots of options. We're getting the 6636 with corner left. (Tile flange on front and back length, constructing wall/drop in and tile on front length and back end.) It's also available with three tile flanges.

• PRO
    Alan Baily, Architect
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks for all the responses. GW. I saw that model but it is a brand I am not familiar with. I hope you are installing soon and can report back. Beverly, same with the Fine Fixtures tub. Until a find negatives, I will use the Kohler. I probably have two months to make a decision. With the Kohler being 36" wide it lines up with the tile pattern I have created.

• mle0782
    13 days ago

Not to open a can of worms, but, are you shower or bath people? If someone loves a good soak, I would think twice before going with acrylic instead of cast iron. I’ve had both and cast iron holds heat much better.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living