Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shimmerandshine

75% of renovations are done, and I don’t like the white rail.

shimmerandshine
10 days ago

Ok so I actually have a few questions, but the staircase is what’s really bothering me now.

Im not sure if it’s because Im not used to the white or what.

I’ll add pictures of the rest of my home, so I can be directed to the right direction of what to consider with the stair rail. just a heads up, the round table will be replaced for a smaller drop leaf table. And I’ll be adding 3 barstools to the counter. For the living area; I plan on keeping the same layout of two sofas, but of course not the current leathers ones. I’ve been eyeing cb2’s navy blue velvet sofas, but I’ve heard for the price the quality isn’t great. If someone can recommend a better brand I’d appreciate it. The bookcase, isn’t complete yet, but thats staying where it is. The area near the fireplace, will have just two accent chairs. The dinning room table, and server is staying. I’m sticking to honeycomb blinds, but I ordered a creamish color, I’ll add pictures. The interior door knobs will be matte black. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. These renovations are double than what I thought it would and I honestly don’t see myself doing renovations on the main level again.

Comments (63)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    10 days ago

I don't mind a white railing usually. I do think it needs to be something different here or other things need to be different. It is a sea of gray and white. You need some color and personality in the space.

A black and white railing may be nice

I would also paint the front door, add trim to your windows and bring some color in ( paint the book case, beautiful rugs, some larger artwork ) .

Take your time - just do a few things at a time so it doesn't go too far.

Good luck!

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I obviously suck at picking colors. I told the project manager I trust his style, he picked out behr vintage pewter and had it matched at sherwin Williams. Me being the smart A I am, I went to behr’s website, checked out the coordinating colors that Match and purchased the creamy color for my blinds. Anyways they installed them today, they’re not bothering me. I’ll post a pic.
    I’m not Ballsy enough to go with the black rail. What if I do the rail, same wood color as my floor and then White balusters?
    Debbi what paint color would you recommend for the door/trim and bookcase?

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Door knobs were installed today as well

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

A black HANDRAIL is "ballsey"

No......it is not. You won't keep the white handrail clean anyway.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Alright so have them just paint the handrail black? And Keep the balusters white?What color should I have them paint the front door?

• happyleg
    9 days ago

Turn rug to left to take off shoes.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

The Front door? It's not the best looking, so for now? White. As your trim.

Future? A different door.....

More this: )

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    9 days ago

And should I do black hardware for the front door to match the rest of the interior hardware?

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@janmoyer I just saw the door! That looks real good! Damn girl you got some style. I’ll look into replacing the front door in a few years to something like this. Can I please get a recommendation for a mirror to place to the right of the door? Something I won’t have to replace every few years

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 days ago

Doing the handrail to black will be much easier than trying to strip it and stain it to a wood finish. You put black handles on your white doors - black railing is just another step from there.

The shades don't look bad at all. They gray must be warmer than it looks in the pictures.

I am a color person. I love lots of it! I would suggest finding a colorful rug or piece of artwork that you love ( doesn't have to be bold ) and drawing some color inspiration from there for the bookcase and pillows ). If you are nervous with the bookcase, paint the back of it only. You could do navy or sage green or have fun and do turquoise or yellow. It's paint, if you get tired of it, paint again.

Alongside the front door, find a small table and hang a mirror above. You need a place to put stuff down when you come in the door. That floor vent is in a crappy location. It really does mess up a rug placement.

Go ahead and Google gray living rooms and see what things come up!

A few carefully chose pieces can make all the difference.

Good luck!

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thank you for the advice Debbi! There is a piece of art I’ve been eyeing and I’ll most likely purchase to put between the windows. The width of that space is 5ft and length of my wall is 8ft. I’m considering going with the size 4.8 x 3. (From what I’ve been reading, bigger art work looks better on walls) the wall above the sofa, I’m considering getting 3 pieces of art. Sofas will be eventually be replaced with velvet navy blue. That might take some time, renovations were a pretty penny.

• palimpsest
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I think the balusters are probably fine because the highest exposed tread is somewhere around 32" above the floor level.

• Ruth
    9 days ago

Just wondering why are the sofas facing away from the fireplace. Looks very odd.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I have a long living room. Renovations are still in the process. Plan is to spilt the long living room into 2 sitting areas.ill have two sofas placed as they are now and then a console behind the sofa so help visually spilt the room. Ill then have two accent chairs facing the fireplace

• TanCalGal
    9 days ago

In photo 3, the white railing looks the perfect color b/c the white railing is repeated in the bookcase. Where railing is in view, repeat white of railing elsewhere in the art frames, candlesticks, upholstery, or furniture. etc.

• happyleg
    8 days ago

For the living room I would move the one couch over closer to the window by the fireplace and the and Float them in the room kind of in an L shape and the sofa facing the fireplace the two chairs can be on either side of the fireplace with a coffee table in the middle or near one of the sofas whatever works

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Like this? Does this look better than having two separate sitting areas? That darn beam annoys me.

• Mrs Pete
    8 days ago

I don't care for the all-white railing either ... but I wouldn't want to get rid of the white, as it matches all your trim.

Personally, I'd paint (or stain) the top rail dark.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

Are you putting a TV in this living space. If so, where. I would ignore the beam or possibly ain’t it the ceiling color to reduce its look. Rug(s) will really help ground your furnishings but settle on arrangement first. I will put some ideas together and post later today or tomorrow.

• jackowskib
    8 days ago

I would paint the rail only. Using wall color and go slightly darker. Example photo -

Live Oak · More Info

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    8 days ago

No TV in the living area. I told the kids living area will be for conversations and reading. Entertainment in the basement 😄.
    I’m pretty certain I want to get 2 navy blue performance velvet sofas. It won’t happen right away, as these renovations was double what I was expecting it to be😫. All in all I’m looking to purchase 2 sofas, 2 chairs, 2 sets of nesting side tables, a rug , and and maybe a console table with poufs to put in the empty space left to the fireplace. Or I can do a full length mirror there.

Art work, I would like to connect to my Jerusalem roots. I found a few paintings I liked. I posted them a few comments above. I just don’t know if all frames in my living area should match?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

ABSOLUTELY NO to this

Either..........

One couch or two...........

With game /puzzle/cocktails table and upholstered chairs

Or........

In NO SCENARIO would I leave out a tv. Or you will have a room FULL of un used furniture

Get a smart tv, add the u tube art app. .....AND IT IS NOT A BLACK HOLE

You should not have to descend a stair to catch the news or a quick tv show.

• Sherry K Bradshaw
    8 days ago

Just paint it black to coordinate with your other rooms, especially the living area! Easy and low cost, either gloss for easy-clean or satiny black..

• Sherry K Bradshaw
    8 days ago

Consider a long,narrow (black-framed?) mirror at top of stairs or even long, narrow artwork. You can use colorful art too.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

Edit......... to three ways

Get receptacles in the floor. Put a 84 inch console under the header, add lamps .

Give the room a "waistline" and all below will do that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

Some black railing looks with white spindles. Spindles must be only 4” apart to meet code. So might be a bigger job than you think.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

For what it's worth?

Tooooo fussy a stair for all else! No matter the darn paint!

In a heartbeat??

Make knee walls. Kiss the darn thing goodbye. Doesn't meet code ......yup, guessing that is correct.

Good ol drywall and a cap. Yes, a soft black cap.Both sides. What's to see?

lake home · More Info

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    8 days ago

A black framed mirror next to the door would match the interior hardware! Sherry ,I love the idea of long art on the top of the Stairs. I haven’t even thought of that!

Jan, the one you just updated is my favorite so far! Honestly, even we did have a tv on the main level, it wasn’t watched . My younger kids (3-4) would like to have it on as background noise, which I and my 8 and 10 yr old would find annoying. 😂

I showed my husband and he also liked it, but is asking if we can make it a bit more open by setting up the sofas and chairs like he did in the pic below. Btw the bookcase will stay in place. Again my 10 yr old sofa will be long gone. Jan have you had any experience with cb2? I want to make sure I get sofas that’ll last at least 10 years after dropping 7 grand.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Flo Mangan, I think I’ll paint the rails and call it a day. I’ll look into changing the whole staircase once we decide on renovating upstairs. I went from only wanting to do my kitchen, to doing the whole main floor.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Nooooooooo To this

THIS!!!!

You have a 25' long room! Conversational distance is 8 feet or you prefer shouting?

You must float, your slipper chairs will be too small and lightweight AND

You wlll need at least a 10 x 14 rug, along with armed chairs, that are comfy

Basically, the fire is now "just in the room", not a big focal point

So? You do SWIVEL chairs, about 30 w x 34 d

Your sofas 84/90 x 36.

A generous coffee table, no, no no to upholstered . You will weigh the room down.

Something with a hard top, about 36 x 60 x 18 h

Side tables? 24 x 24 x 24 is perfect.

Two consoles, one for between windows about 48 x 18 x 30/36/ h

and the other? About 60/72 x 18 x 30/36

No less than 10 x 14 rug. ADD LIGHTING/Lamps

Do not attempt to light a room from the ceiling only. It is hideous.

YOU HAVE a plan......use it, I did.: ) Do not buy without a plan, just as all earlier above. The squares? They mean feet and inches. They matter, as does scale and proportion.

• elcieg
    7 days ago

Agree, it is too stark. What if you paint the railings the same color as the rug?

And then paint the front interior door the same?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 days ago

CB2 will not last you ten years. Nothing you can buy in that ilk, not one thing you buy in seating with a click of a mouse will last you ten years. If you don't have a brick and mortar furniture store of quality, and you need to to click? Click on Arhaus. Follow me here..........?

You just remodeled. Buy a 10 x 14 rug, patterned, forgiving. With some COLOR. Keep the sofas you have, for now. You have young kids.

Buy two really comfy swivel chairs, an ottoman can wait or trip on a 99.00 pouf at a discy.. A nice generous cocktail table, even but TWO together!

Get some side tables online, add lamps. Do the console tables. Pay attention to the dimensions I noted up above.

WHY? Because without these other things, all you will have is two crappy CB2 sofas. After a couple years? You will still have all I just mentioned above. In the meantime??You will have a furnished comfortable room, recovery time, and will have spent NO MORE than 8k and it won't be on things that can't last. ) Paint your own big art with a Hobby Lobby canvas.

To do exactly this:

With this in mind. Or all you will have is j.u.n.k

unless you hardly EVER sit on those CB2 and even then? You will still need that 7,400 for a really decent welcoming space!! You find a rug you truly love for less? Yippeee! Spend a little more on something else, or save it to the couch piggy bank.! But for 2500.00? You can make a really fabulous, lasting wool rug, have it bound from any great high end wool broadloom!

The truth is, in a great fabric, in something with support, and any longevity? Your sofa budget for 2 is more like 10K- 12 k for a 8/9 year sofa . Big rooms cost money.

It is very, very hard to remodel and decorate at the same time unless you have lots of $$$$$. and lots of time for seek and search and plan...

Start the piggy bank: )

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Jan, you have no idea how much you helped me. I just moved my current furniture to get a feel of this, and I love it! Thank you and my husband says his pockets also thank you! 😂

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 days ago

Since I did not yet drag myself to the gym......

Let's test ME? ON THIS.

YOUR COUCHES and............

Two

One cocktail
    ( absolutely bullet proof, indestructible.!!)

sit on it, no coasters no nothing.

two

two

one!

one

two

whatever/etsy

Did the designer FLUNK? NO.....But she's a designer and hates c.r.a.p.

All above is "right size"......in proportion. Start painting : ) your own art.....I didn't do that. Hit a garden store lol I've no big tall greenery.

Just for example and in your palette.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 days ago

Since I did not yet drag myself to the gym......

Let's test ME? ON THIS.

YOUR COUCHES and............ PRICE CHECK!
    One 10 X 14/WAYFAIR!!!

saved a grand: )

Two swivel

One cocktail

two end tables

two Lamps

one! long console

Nice......: ) close up

one short console between windows

two lamps, one each console

whatever/etsy and discy haunt

Did the designer FLUNK? NO.....But she's a designer and hates c.r.a.p.

All above is "right size"......in proportion. Start painting : ) your own art.....I didn't do that. Hit a garden store lol I've no big tall greenery.

Just for example and in your palette.

Sue me......9k - 10k whatever! and go play on Great Big Canvas

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Jan! I love the rug! I had similar end tables and that blue lamp when Pier one was still in business. I ended up tossing them.

I’m taking your advice on not buying a sofa just yet. But when the time does come, it’ll be a velvet navy blue. I came across a pic on Pinterest and I liked how brown and navy blue look together what do you think? I can’t decide if I want to do the lighter brown leather swivel chairs or if I should do darker brown.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    6 days ago

This is the inspo pic! I like the colors, not the furniture. Btw has anyone bought furniture from what a room? And any advice on end tables and a smaller console, that’ll match the furniture I liked above?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

You LIKE the colors above. Color isn't a style. You like the rug. You have to decide if you will keep the leather couches for a few years. You don't want a dark tomb of a room, and furniture can be any color. A toss pillow can be any color. I'd do lighter swivel chairs....and add the NAVY, in accents elsewhere. For now!! You have years and years ahead of you in the house. You won't go to your grave with anything you buy at this stage of life.. You won't. : )

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    6 days ago

I can see myself keeping the leather couches for 2 years, then they’ll have to go. Would the console with the lighter top look better with that combo?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

What do you want it to look like for two years?

You want FOUR pieces of leather? No......you don't. You really, really don't. Not even for two years!

It's a living room, you don't even want a tv. You never want to turn around in those to chairs and gaze at the fire? Never want to click on a movie and relax alone?

If the rug is a blue? Do you even want NAVY blue couches in two years? You don't know. Maybe a nice light oatmeal, with NAVY in the toss pillows.

I gave you an option up above, that will in the future, take those navy couches.

Translated? You have to do what you like and can live with,

Otherwise? Get a designer, get two really good navy sofas, and find another 15k. Or get the the navy CB2 now, do two leather chairs, don't swivel, and buy them online, all of it and do the math until it works for you.

You have a basement in which you plan for "tv and real life" .....

Repurpose to down below in two years if beat up. Nobody can tell you the exact ...which , what, and how to live or what to love. If you knew EXACTLY what you were doing? Your shades would not be cream . They wouldn't even be a honeycomb shade - as you lost the chance for something less basic and a selection with more interest and texture, even a natural woven shade. : )

I'm for as little of this, as possible:

"love the rug! I had similar end tables and that blue lamp when Pier one was still in business. I ended up tossing them."

The vicious cycle of fill the landfill, and repeat.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Jan, i appreciate your honest feedback.

Im more worried about how my living room will look after the 2 years rather than during.

I considered leather swivel chairs, so I can be able to turn around and gaze at the fireplace and I thought ok, this might be easier to clean as well.

I’m not big on watching tv or movies. I read books more than anything.

The basement is already complete . We have a Toy room, game room and TV room down there.

You’re absolutely right, I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m scatter brained. I love the “modern” style, but at the same time, I want to pick out the right pieces so it won’t look terrible after a few years.

Haha I definitely screwed up with the cream shade. But!!!! Those will be going upstairs in the bedrooms and I’ll be purchasing them in white. The reason why I prefer honeycomb is because I’m a hijabi (Muslim woman who wears the scarf) with the honeycomb I’m able to pull the shades down from top to get some sunlight in without my neighbors in my business.

• anj_p
    6 days ago

I still think the wall color is not going to work with your inspo... It's a cool gray and that inspo has a taupe (warm brown) wall color.

So I agree with Jan to keep the black until you are ready to address the wall color again.

Our LR has similar colors to your inspo. Our wall color is drift of mist, which is a very light warm gray (nearly white until you see it next to white).

It's fine that you picked honeycomb shades. You can always dress them up with curtain panels (we did roller shades in our LR but still added panels for some warmth). Originally we were going for blue velvet as well but thought that the leather couch might have better staying power.

You might find with that warm palette, the fireplace will stick out like a sore thumb.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago

Very Nice above : )

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@anj_p I like how your room looks complete.

What color furniture will look good with my current wall color?

• anj_p
    6 days ago

Thanks Jan! We had a designer help us. I am not capable.

@shimmerandshine I'm not a pro and I definitely needed help with my own space but I think trying to use both cool and warm tones can be challenging.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

"What color furniture will look good with my current wall color? "

Add your couches......................

Will someone shoot me?

The room is COOL. Oatmeal isn't the yellow of your cream shades......!!!!

All that above? Is not that different than this, the color is just in different places!

Get the designer back. Or you will spin here until it becomes a five year, 35,000 comment thread. Not helpful, for you.

Make a now and later map........and get a RUG on that floor, first 10 x 14

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

The point is it is LIMITLESS. Begin with a rug that is cool and warm.....Blue is cool, rust is warm, gray is either

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Hey Jan! Last night I decided to read an article on cool, warm and netural tones. I wasn't even considering my walls when I was looking at what I thought was "pretty" on pintrest. Anyways I think I somehwat get it now. I went ahead and looked at the items you recommended the first time, and I do like the style of the items. As they look like they're good quailty, and easier to clean than the console and coffee table I had picked out initally. My issue with the coffee table and console is they look too "leggy" for me. Not sure if that makes any sense. Anyways, I came across a few items I liked. I'm almost certain I want to do the white and blue rug you recommended. Two swivel "oatmeal chairs" I just need to make sure the fabic will be easy to clean. Here are the items I liked, it sucks the coffee table doesn't come in a bigger size. The side tables, I'm not sure if they'll flow with the rest of the room. So I would like to hear your feedback.

The blue sofa you posted, wheres that from?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

You are not reading........and not listening either. rooms are about balance/proportion, scale.

Get the rug, I gave you the low price way above

Wayfair. Here below.....

I repeat.... I gave you everything in scale and proportion, solid, vs leggy, way up

I can't do the room for you beyond that. : )

If you like something else better? Fine!

The navy couches were just a screen grab, for example!!

You need a designer on your site, to help you. One on one. Get your BUDGET straight first. There is what you want to spend, and what you need to spend. Or you wait, sand you save more $$$