Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_273505256

Need help picking a backsplash

Katie S
11 days ago

I need to pick a backsplash for my kitchen. my current concern is trying to pick a tile that will not be "dated" in the next five years. I plan to paint the walls white and change hardware and lighting to gold (more transitional modern). I was thinking Bedrosians Cloe Tile in white/grey OR standard white subway tile (photos attached) ... thoughts? Does anyone think that look of tile will go out of style soon?

I know that the Carrara marble waterfall island is on its way out too. The kitchen currently has wallpaper and some tile above the stove.

Comments (11)

• eam44
    10 days ago

Tile is such a personal choice. You should have what you love and if Cloé is it, fine. I honestly don’t get the appeal in a world filled with handmade, artisinal tile, of buying this particular tile, especially when it is everywhere. It is an OK, mass manufactured reproduction of handmade Moroccan field tile. There is nothing special about it, and the ”messy” look doesn’t really fit the aesthetics of your space.

Budget permitting, consider a tile with a beautiful shape, or crazing, or some color variability, but something inherently beautiful that will give you joy seeing it every day. It doesn’t have to be Fireclay Tile, but check out their web site for inspiration, and for glaze info.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you so much for your opinion. I did not even think about what you said! I’m glad you did @eam44

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Some people bore of white subway tile, but nobody ever says it looks outdated. It is timeless and I love it. The look can change significantly depending on color and width of grout.

I'm usually a fan of monochromatic neutral kitchens. And yet, you have so very many cabinets on every single wall that I would be thoughtful about how to break it up. You paint a subtle color in the green areas that are currently wallpapered. Or maybe more solid, less transparent light fixtures will help break up the swaths of white cabinetry. I do still think it is a good ideal to paint the walls a white that is color matched to the cabinets.

Katie S thanked Kendrah
  • millworkman
    10 days ago

What does your kitchen look like? Walls, floors, natural lighting, etc., etc.. Pick the splash after the rest of the kitchen is in.

• HU-910663146
    10 days ago

I don't understand the need for tile in the rest of your kitchen and why you want to replace the white tile that you have with another white tile. Replace the wallpaper and call it a day.

I am also not a fan of the white cabinets with gold look--too Versailles for me. Particularly since you have a lot of stainless steel appliances showing rather than integrated appliances. If you do go ahead, I suggest spray painting the lights/handles rather than spending $$$ on new ones.

Just get rid of the green wallpaper and rug.

• chispa
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Other tile companies to look at for more unique offering:

Pratt & Larson

Encore

Artistic Tile

Jeffrey Court

Waterfall islands aren't on the way out ... except in regular suburban traditional/transitional houses where they should never have been installed in the first place! In a very modern and clean lined house a waterfall counter could still be the right choice.

• herbflavor
    10 days ago

use the secondary room beyond the removed wall and add/change things there...was your choice ALL WHITE EVERYWHERE or has this been inherited? space could use warmth color texture , and the second room would get me with that goal..kitchen is fine . dont mean to be super critical if you picked the all white but its a default look and I think more personalization/warmth might be pleasing for your situation.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

Forgive me, I am a tiny bit confused. Is this all one kitchen? Or are the two top photos your kitchen and the others inspiration? I see so many different hardware styles so thought maybe I am looking at more than one kitchen.

If the two top photos are what you are working on how about a tile from Genrose. They make a beautiful handmade tile that ties in the white, gold and even a dash of green. The warm wood kitchen stools and the dark wood shelves keep this space less stark or clinical.

Genrose handmade tiles

Timeless? The reality is that everything fades the important piece is do you love it. True timeless-ness is the love you have for it. I have an old leather chair, an antique book, a murano vase, a painting of the church I got married in... they might look dated but to me they are timeless.

Katie S thanked Boxerpal
  • chloe00s
    8 days ago

I prefer the Zellige look of the Bedrosian white Chloe rectangular tile vs. just a standard old flat subway.

Katie S thanked chloe00s
  • acm
    8 days ago

I would look for a pale gray tile rather than white, which would give some contrast from the cabinets and help highlight the veining in your counters, which are beautiful, including the waterfall. Pretty kitchen!

Lake Minnetonka Tailored White Kitchen · More Info

Katie S thanked acm
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations