Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_lax93

Beams or Wood Ceiling

ANDREW Lake
11 days ago

First post - lots of good info here....

What do you think - beams or some wood for ceiling ?

Thanks !!

Comments (17)

• Lyn Nielson
    10 days ago

of the options, beams, wood would darken the space too much.

• marylut
    10 days ago

Looks like your budget is better spent on vertical storage rather than cosmetics like beams, wood ceiling.

ANDREW Lake thanked marylut
  • RedRyder
    10 days ago

I think a colorful rug in the dining area would enhance the space better than anything in the ceiling.

• ANDREW Lake
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Dont know what "vertical storage" is ? And yes, a nice rug would be great - my wife and I are at odds on that :-)

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

It doesn't seem to me that either is necessary.

• Shasta
    10 days ago

You have enough going on with the slanted ceilings. You don’t need anything more.
    Transom windows would have opened up the space to more light but that’s a big change that you didn’t ask about.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

You might be able to install the faux beams. I would not do a wood ceiling. It will lower the appearance of your ceiling.

You have TOO MUCH STUFF! You need to police the area and eliminate some of your collections of stuff. Every piece of bare wall doesn't need to be covered with memorabilia. It takes away the attention from possible important items.

What's with all the dried flowers? All the Pappas grass should find its way to a dumpster.

The items on all that open shelving in the living room have no appearance of being curated or arranged. Items should be assembled into groups of related items and then placed strategically on the shelves. It could take a day or two to get it right.

https://www.thespruce.com/styling-tips-for-open-shelving-1975823

• ANDREW Lake
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

lol . you guys are tough !! This isnt an Airbnb .... its a home with family and grandchildren and memories . you can keep your sterile designs . but I agree with the plants ... again, the wife not me ... thanks for the beam drawing btw - and agree I can clean up some of the stuff . i tend to keep things way too long !!

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Can you pin point the reason why you are wanting either on your ceiling? It sounds random but maybe there is some logic behind the desire that we just aren't getting.

I think the biggest problem with your space is it lack cohesion and visual organization. A ceiling treatment isn't going to fix that. I don't hate Beverly's ceiling beams. But I also don't think they solve any problems.

Yes, this is a tough crowd.

• ANDREW Lake
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

no reason really... had a few roof leaks over the years which left some issues that I am now addressing ... plus added lights and fan - so was tossing around the idea of improving the ceiling ... told the wife you dont like my clutter - she agreed LOL !!!

• tlynn1960
    10 days ago

I'll chime in with the neither beams nor wood ceiling commentors. I don't think a ceiling treatment suits the style of the house or your furnishings. I only noticed that most of the artwork appears to be hung too high.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

No one is asking you to make your home look like a model home. But when you look at your room, your eyes don't know where to focus your attention because there's too much to take in. Your eyes need a space to rest.

Here are some guides for hanging art on walls. I lowered the art in your dining room.

• ANDREW Lake
    Original Author
    10 days ago

damn now I have lower all my art !!! I have plans this weekend !!!

thanks btw

• Valinta
    10 days ago

When you have a free weekend you and wife should remove all art, accessories, memorabilia, etc. Then evaluate which pieces are important. Use 1/2 of them now, store the rest, then in 6 months exchange some stored pieces with current ones. The advise given is very good.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

I'm older, but I have begun to go through my home and give art I have collected over the years away to friends. There are pieces too good to give to resale stores, and I want them to have a good home. So if friends have expressed an interest in them, they have a new home.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

Funny, I look at your space and do not see clutter. I see a space that looks beautiful, lived in and needs a little direction. I think you would like to do something, that is why you posted the question about wood.. For you it feels like you need to fill the ceiling as this is the space that seems open to you You think wood beams or paneling will fill this void you see. The white ceiling feels empty. By putting in Beams or a wood paneling you would fill what feels like an empty space.

But.....before you think about a wood ceiling or wood beams I think you might want to edit what you already have. When we look at any room we need our eyes to rest on areas that are empty or with order and other areas with movement. You have movement and the ceiling right now is space to rest the eye.

You have some fun artwork, And it would be nice to tie some of the colors in your art work to perhaps some toss pillows. What is your favorite color? What are some must stay items? what are some items you could live without ? what are some you must keep?

When you look at Houzz photos with similar living spaces what do you like? Have you searched similar style homes.

this space below the wood ceiling works because the colors are similar. They work with each other. There is space to rest the eye on the wall, but also enjoy the branches or the wood ceiling or the soft blue sofa.

Venice Beach Custom Prefab · More Info

Notice how this space uses a few colors to keep the eyes moving around the space but feeling connected. The blue chairs, the blue dishes, the yellow shades, the brown table, the brown art work, the brown chair... Even the rug has some warm yellows, blues and browns.

Carmel Valley and Santa Lucia Mountains · More Info

notice the focus on blue accents.

Dyna - Mercer Island VI · More Info

Now what could you do with your space?

What color do we see repeated with your home? I see a little red. Could you introduce more red and take away some of the non red colors. Foe example the books on your books case. Add more red and take away many of the others. Edit some of the art work and keep just a few pieces. Eliminate some of the frames. Your motto should be less is more. And choose a maximum of 3 colors.

Try searching for room with wood ceilings or slanted ceilings with beams and figure out what you like about them? Could you repeat it all in your own space? This is a start.