Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleplume

Seeking comments on our kitchen reno layout

purpleplume
13 days ago

Just about ready to place our cabinetry order. Feel free to have a look and chime in with your insights.

We have tried to incorporate Aging in Place features as we love the waterfront setting and deep covered terraces our townhouse offers and know we've found our forever home. That's why I wanted as many drawers with full-extension glides as possible, to eliminate the trifecta of cabinet diving: bending, reaching and lifting.

Note: We are constrained to the footprint as shown since there is no extra tile for the existing Saturnia marble flooring.

More images in next post (seems there's a limit of 4 per post).

Comments (15)

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Drawings continued.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Custom cabinetry is slab style in BenMoore color Chantilly Lace on all 3 sides of U-shaped layout. Island cabinetry is slab in SW color Blissful Blue. Appliances by Sub-Zero Wolf in brushed stainless steel finish with Wolf Transitional tubular handles and cabinet pulls to match the appliance handle style.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Counters and backsplash in Diamond Blue Polished Calcite. The stone sample is shown here beside 2 island paint samples. We opted for the one on the lower left: SW Blissful Blue.

Stone has a touch of green with the blue gray. That's to relate to the bright BenMoore Big City Blue and Cabana Green as seen in the LR wall. LR and DR are open to the water view on east and south sides. A short passage connects the Kitchen to the DR; they share a calcite counter that tops off a SubZero Beverage Fridge on that shared short passage.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Considering a handmade 36" Rachiele NextGen workstation sink in stainless steel.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Meant to say: Appliances in brushed stainless steel finish with Wolf Transitional tubular handle style and cabinet pulls to match appliance handle style.

• petula67
    12 days ago

The aisle widths around the island are pretty tight. It might be worth reconsidering the island if the footprint is constrained. Or if flooring is the only reason for footprint constraint, I might bite the bullet on a flooring change.

purpleplume thanked petula67
  • rebasheba
    12 days ago

Agree the aisle widths are small. Look of the NKBA recommended aisle clearances -- at least 42"

Also, I imagine that you love that super intense blue color.... but just weighing in that the soft pale blue you have chosen will not relate to it, blue or not, they are going in such different style directions. I wonder if your kitchen could go with white walls and a teal tile backsplash or something instead.

purpleplume thanked rebasheba
  • purpleplume
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@petula 67 I totally agree with you about the tight aisle widths!

Unfortunately, we cannot eliminate the island or modify its footprint because making it smaller to increase aisle widths would reveal concrete sub-floor and sadly we do not have any extra marble flooring tile with which to cover that base flooring. :(

Ditto for a flooring change: the existing 24” square marble pieces of flooring run throughout the entire level of the townhouse where the kitchen is located: LR, DR, reception room, foyer, and powder room. And since it’s an open floor plan, even if we wanted to change out just the kitchen and laundry room flooring, the GC says there’s no way to make that happen.

The kitchen flooring is my biggest design delimma because there are 3” square textured metal tiles in a bronze color at some of the 4-way intersections of the larger marble floor tiles. They are inset diagonally and relate to absolutely nothing! There are 8 of them in the kitchen—in the walkways around the island, set 48” apart—plus 2 more in the hallway to the laundry room.

I would welcome suggestions on how to deal with those!

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@rebasheba I agree with you! I am not a fan of the Blissful Blue on the island.

Originally, our interior designer had done the island cabinetry in BenMoore Elmira White (which to me reads as a beige). It made the kitchen look blah to me. I was in tears. Then she proposed doing it in a light blue and gave me a few from which to choose. I don’t see how the light blue relates to anything in the LR or the kitchen. When we add 3 counter-height stools to the island that may help a bit, but I’m afraid not enough

We need to get this cabinetry order in this week and I am at a loss for how to salvage this project palette dilemma!

The kitchen walls are painted Chantilly Lace (a white). Here’s a rendering with Elmira White on the island cabinets:

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    12 days ago

And a couple more showing the bronze diamond insert floor tiles.

Any suggestions for counter-height bar stools that could help tie this space together are welcome!

Note: there is no door on the back right where shown in this photo. That‘s a hallway leading to the adjacent Laundry Room and a utility closet.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@rebasheba I like your Modern Tropical Glam. That sounds like me :)

I’m not comfortable with the Blissful Blue on the island cabinetry. Maybe I should just do all the cabinetry in Chantilly Lace. I welcome any color suggestions. Perhaps I could bring in some tropical glam touches with counter height barstools and other accessories. I’m running out of time.

I just phoned Wolf. The convection wall oven door, when fully open, encroaches into the 40” aisle by 21 3/8”. This leaves 18 5/8” for me to stand directly in front of the fully open oven door. Actually, that’s plenty of room for me as I’m slim.

In my old kitchen layout, the oven is on a different wall and the standing room remaining once the current oven door is fully open is 21”. Ideally, it would be more. However, I do not stand in front of a fully open oven door to place items in the oven or retrieve items from the oven Rather, I access the open oven racks while standing to the side of the oven, to safely position my arms. Since my oven doors open from bottom hinges, rather than from side hinges, it‘s easier for me this way .

• rebasheba
    10 days ago

I think just keep it white!

As for the floor decorative tiles... a runner rug or two 😊

• rebasheba
    10 days ago

I think just go with white then!

As for the floor tile accents.... a runner rug 😊

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Ruggable runners could work since they’re washable. I have a senior pup ;)