Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karoliberty

Landscaping junipers you like the look of

karoliberty
13 days ago

I had mixed feelings about junipers because I used to live in cold7/hot8 and now I moved north where they look much nicer and healthier when I see them.

If you like junipers, which ones? I hear nice things about Grey Owl and Blue Point is more heat/drought resistant. Not sure as far as a ground cover whether they ever look happy. A columnar/narrow one. Moonglow, Skyrocket, Taylor maybe?

I'm looking through pictures and can't place whether the beautiful constrasting border in parking lots I see is more likely to be Saybrook - Old Gold - Gold Lace? perhaps next or more of a Sea Green or blue medium height one?

If you don't like junipers, what colors/shapes do you especially dislike?

Comments (17)

• artinnature
    13 days ago

There are only two that will ever grace my garden, and they are Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka' and Juniperus chinensis 'Daub's Frosted'.

• Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b
    13 days ago

Whatever it is, consider an aurea or some other color in your sea of green.

• bengz6westmd
    13 days ago

If you like the juniper "look", Arizona cypresses give the same look and can be very handsome if you can find them. Here's some in west MD Z6.

• Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

beng, the beautiful tree that you posted, is that its natural growth habit or has the specimen been limbed up?

• bengz6westmd
    7 days ago

Ontario, I'm pretty certain those Arizona cypresses have only had the very bottom-most branches trimmed, prb'ly to ease grass-cutting. Otherwise, no. There are some very large ones in the VA State Arboretum, w/very similar forms.

• bengz6westmd
    7 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Davidrt not too long ago posted a pic of his weeping juniper ridgida which is very striking. Looks like a Nootka cypress.

• anj_p
    7 days ago

Why all the hate for junipers?

We are in 5a and planted some blue arrow last year near our fence line. We are in a drainage easement so the ground is particularly challenging there (plus our soil is clay). We didn't have a lot of choices for things that would thrive and stay green over winter. I think they look good so far.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    7 days ago

Juniperus recurva var. coxii is another nice one.

Of course unobtainable in my area. :-/

https://www.sciencephoto.com/juniperus-recurva-var-coxii

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 days ago

" Why all the hate for junipers? "

Perhaps because an entire generation grew up with Pfitzer Junipers as almost the only juniper species planted? Pfitzers get big, very big; are too often pruned very badly and stink of cat pee. Not much about them to like except they are a plant and forget species.......other than the ever present malprunig that occurs.

• maackia
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

I’ve planted several Junipers since moving here in 2011 — probably too many. I’ve had poor experience with the upright types (Skyrocket, Snow Flurries, Blue Point, etc.), but better luck with the low growing/ground covers. Here are a few that have done reasonably well:

’Saybrook Gold’

‘Old Gold’

‘Grey Owl’

‘Copper Delight’

‘Golden Joy’

Daub’s Frosted’

The two low growing Junipers that have not done well for me are ’Blue Star’ and ’Calgary Carpet’.

• artinnature
    6 days ago

Other than me (guilty as charged) I haven't noticed anyone else hating on junipers. Gardengal is exactly right though. I grew up in zones 3/4, and that's where I developed a healthy hate. Some very attractive types posted here, but if you're lucky enough to be in zone 8 there are other genera that achieve all of these "looks", but way better, in my spoiled opinion, and usually without the sting, and stink of juniperus.

• maackia
    5 days ago

Artinnature, the OP has moved north from z7/8 and has specifically asked about Junipers. Are you recommending the OP move back to z7/8? It’s kind of confusing.

• artinnature
    5 days ago

Maackia, I'm explaining why gardeners in warmer zones might become conifer snobs, like me;-).

• Eileen
    5 days ago

Now I want a gimlet and it's not even noon.

• artinnature
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

And here is why I don't hate all junipers. This is Kaizuka in Bandon Oregon. I don't think there is another genera that can mimic this!

• anj_p
    4 days ago

@artinnature You're not the first person I have heard who hates junipers, and even the OP seemed hesitant about planting them. I have zero experience with them aside from the 4 we have planted in our back yard so I was wondering what I was missing! LOL.