Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_in_md

Before & After: From Cramped Galley to Spacious Kitchen

lisa_in_md
6 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

Hi all, since Houzz was so helpful to us, I thought I'd share some before/after photos of our kitchen renovation.

First, the befores. We live in a 100+ year old house that was last renovated (including the kitchen) in the 90s. It was mostly galley-style, which was pretty tight for our family to do any significant cooking in. It was also done in a "shabby chic" antiqued style that was definitely trending more toward shabby and less chic 30-ish years later.

And the afters. In September of last year, we had an architect come over to give us some initial recommendations on what we could do with the space. He suggested moving our external basement stairs (which used to be behind the window above the table in the first photo above) to the right of our house and then using the gained space to make our kitchen a rectangle instead of an L. This was a bigger project than we'd been envisioning, but since this is our "forever home," we decided to go for it.

Demo began in early April '23 and the contractors finished last week, so late October '23. We worked with the architect, a kitchen designer and contractor throughout the project, with the three of them collaborating frequently.

The most significant delay was the new windows, which were ordered in March and didn't arrive until September. On the flipside, we got extremely lucky and the Sub-Zero fridge that we ordered in January came in August. Based on reports we saw here and elsewhere, we'd been prepared to have to move our (very) old fridge back into the space and wait a lot longer for the new one.

I'd long dreamed of having walnut cabinets on the bottom (without realizing how expensive they are, ouch!) and white on top. Fortunately my husband indulged me and I am SO happy with the outcome. Other than that, one thing I learned about myself through this process is that I'm terrible at envisioning different options in spaces, so there was a lot of purchasing things and returning them. But I think where we ended up looks and works ok.

Happy to answer any questions if folks have them. Thanks again, Houzz!

Comments (33)

• s y
    6 months ago

Very inviting, lovely space.

lisa_in_md thanked s y
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    6 months ago

Lovely kitchen. It must be a joy to work in now.

lisa_in_md thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • sarahsaccount24
    6 months ago

Beautiful! would you mind sharing a floor plan? we would like to put in a free-floating peninsula like you have but it’s much more standard to see either an island or a peninsula making one side of a U!

lisa_in_md thanked sarahsaccount24
  • Emily
    6 months ago

Very well done from design to finishes. Beautiful!

lisa_in_md thanked Emily
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 months ago

WOW! What a transformation! I really like the choice of wood cabinets and the windows, all that natural light must be lovely to work in.

lisa_in_md thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • blfenton
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Beautiful! I love the glass cupboards over the wine/beverage fridge. It's a great statement.

Is that what it's called - " a free-floating peninsula"? I'm glad to see another one. We are building new and our kitchen has the same thing - a free-floating peninsula. We're doing it because our kitchen is basically a u-shaped kitchen which we've had before but I didn't want to feel cramped with a counter at the base of the U and I did not want two corners. Our peninsula is 9' x 4' attached to a wall of windows and like yours, ours doesn't have any cupboards over it, just pendant lights.

ETA - Our son and his wife bought a house in 2021 and the house also had the same thing. In their house it works really well and it's there that I got the idea.

lisa_in_md thanked blfenton
  • Kay p
    6 months ago

I turned out beautiful. My favourite thing in this kitchen is hard to pick, so I think the windows above the sink would be it!😊

lisa_in_md thanked Kay p
  • lisa_in_md
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks all! @sarahsaccount24, here you go.

@blfenton, I guess it is! I hadn't heard it referred to it as a free-floating peninsula before, but I googled and apparently yes. Ha. As you can see in the layout above, there's a powder room right there, so we had to separate it from the rest of the countertop. It's been working really great for us so far, thanks to thoughtful choices by our architect and designer - e.g. room for the fridge door to open fully, pull out shelves in the cabinet that's closest to the wall, etc.

• Paul F.
    6 months ago

Is that Hickory? Tell this lady how to make it work as well as you were able to do.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6408253/new-kitchen-remodel

lisa_in_md thanked Paul F.
  • Julie Schmooley
    6 months ago

Great work it’s stunning!!

lisa_in_md thanked Julie Schmooley
  • lisa_in_md
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Paul F., no, they're walnut. For some reason, they look "stripe-ier" when photographed than they are in real life.

• Denise Marchand
    6 months ago

A beauty of a renovation! Congrats on your hard work and stellar planning.

So, what time do we all have to show up for Thanksgiving?

Enjoy in good health and happiness!

lisa_in_md thanked Denise Marchand
  • arcy_gw
    6 months ago

You say the before was a 90s pic? With the light on top dk on bottom two tone it looks more like something one would see today. It's interesting to me that you repeated that formula in your new kitchen. I would love to see more pics on what moving the stairway did to other spaces in your home. You have a lovely set up now!! Enjoy.

lisa_in_md thanked arcy_gw
  • Lisa
    6 months ago

It looks really beautiful! The only thing I would suggest is to see if you can adjust the color temperature of the undercabinet lighting to match your overhead lights. Many LED undercab lights are adjustable.

lisa_in_md thanked Lisa
  • la_la Girl
    6 months ago

Oh wow what a fresh, lovely and functional space! Honestly it looks like your kitchen has always been there - it fits so nicely in its space. I especially love all the windows and the warmth of the space - Enjoy!

lisa_in_md thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Great work! Looks just super! Proving yet again that not every kitchen must have an island, that a few feet gained makes a huge difference, and that getting some pro help on board is invaluable, whenever possible.

I hear you as well on the window issue, and the similar wait on the Sub Zero - had three builds going with the exact same scenario in last couple years. One client whose kitchen was finishe in total BUT for the S.Z

She stomped a foot to the inconvenience, left the oldie in the garage " I will not ruin my kitchen with that thing! I can walk to the garage! I just will not shove that beast into the big hole! I WON'T "

AND WALK SHE DID. For eleven weeks lol

lisa_in_md thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 months ago

Absolutely fabulous renovation--everything about it is beautiful! Enjoy!

lisa_in_md thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • chicagoans
    6 months ago

Really beautiful! Enjoy!

lisa_in_md thanked chicagoans
  • KW PNW Z8
    6 months ago

Really beautiful with so many nice details & all thought out so they fit together so nicely. Really do like the shelf for the doggie bowls. Was that planned or one of those happy accidents for being creative?

lisa_in_md thanked KW PNW Z8
  • RedRyder
    6 months ago

Beautifully done. Shows a lot of thought.

lisa_in_md thanked RedRyder
  • mytwo cents
    6 months ago

really well done. Your counter seating arrangment actually looks comfortable and inviting, out of the busy action but still part of the scene. The lightweight stools also very nice and cookbooks better than art for giving warmth to a kitchen.

lisa_in_md thanked mytwo cents
  • doods
    6 months ago

Beautiful, and so nice to see someone having a "forever" home, to love and make memories in.

lisa_in_md thanked doods
  • Sally T
    6 months ago

I love everything about it! How is your tall pantry (pantries) organized? How deep are they?

Thanks!

lisa_in_md thanked Sally T
  • Mary
    6 months ago

Great job!

lisa_in_md thanked Mary
  • Cathy CIolek
    6 months ago

You must be thrilled- it is lovely!

lisa_in_md thanked Cathy CIolek
  • lisa_in_md
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks so much for the kind comments, all!

@arcy_gw, yep, although it was 1999. You inspired me to go look at the past permit documents that we have. In terms of sticking with the two-tone, I always liked it in the old kitchen and it also seemed like white was the best color to go with for the uppers since they go up to the ceiling and we didn't want them to feel too "heavy." In terms of the basement stair moving, our basement is unfinished so it's actually not vey interesting from an interior perspective. But outside, we got a lovely set of new stairs that are MUCH safer than the old ones.

@Lisa, thanks! Yes, the undercabinet lighting's tone can be changed very easily. I tend to like the cool light even though it doesn't "match" because it makes the color of the backsplash show up truer in photos. Warm light makes it look gray, when in reality it's more of a gray-ish green.

@Jan Moyer, thanks so much. We definitely were planning on just sticking the old one in there, which would have been a bummer but I'm far too lazy to walk that far every time I need something from the fridge. Wow - hope it was worth it once she got the new fridge!

@KW PNW Z8, thanks! The dog bowls were planned. At first we were going to get one where they were truly built in, but then realized that it was a better idea to keep it a bit more flexible. The shelf is covered with a piece of silicone mat that I cut to fit. It's worked pretty well so far.

@Sally T, thanks! Here are photos of the inside of the pantry (well, at least the two bottom sections - I'm too lazy to pull out the step ladder to open the tops). This is still a work in progress, but so far we have food on the left (in pull out drawers mostly) and appliance and home good storage on the right. They're pretty deep - hard to see but on the right side there's one shelf that has a stand mixer in the back and Vitamix comfortably in front of it.

• beadsnsew
    6 months ago

WOW, gorgeous! I would NEVER tire of the choices you made!! Enjoy : )

lisa_in_md thanked beadsnsew
  • patjbliss
    6 months ago

Wow! What an amazing transformation! Everything looks so beautiful and serene. Can you share the countertops and backsplash? Thank you!

lisa_in_md thanked patjbliss
  • gurukaram
    6 months ago

Beautiful and so much more useable space! WAY better than “ok” 😉 Moving the steps was so smart and you might would not have considered it without the architect’s input. Great job, enjoy!

lisa_in_md thanked gurukaram
  • vicbayside
    6 months ago

So happy for you to have the kitchen you dreamed of! It looks awesome. I know you must be enjoying working in it. Isn't it amazing how many decisions you have to make? I am just about done and we have returned soooo many things! Great job, enjoy!

lisa_in_md thanked vicbayside
  • lisa_in_md
    Original Author
    6 months ago
  • precisionrenovations_684500719
    6 months ago

Great job on your kitchen renovation Lisa. The two-tone cabinet looks great. It's too bad you had to wait that long for new windows. It's kind of a thing that everyone is dealing with right now.

lisa_in_md thanked precisionrenovations_684500719