Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael_davy45

Countercultural - 1940's-ish Kitchen Restore Before and After

Farley McDougal
2 years ago
last modified: last year

After the bathroom redo and swearing off more restoration projects for our old house for a while, I found a sink. That's it, a hundred and one year old sink that happened to be the right size to fit our small original 40's counters. So, I rebroke out the box of hammers, pull started the old drawing board, and just went unscripted pistachio on the whole thing as the kids say.

If it ain't broke...

I don't need updates. I can't afford updates. When we bought the house, the owners actually apologized to us for not having had the time to redo the kitchen. I was happy with the Non-kea hard close plywood cabinets and what was left over from the old color scheme on the countertops. I did despise the saltio floor tile, but I'm not originally from Beige-Burbington so southwest "style" does not raise my southern wiles in any northern direction.

Let's get on to the photos. I really do love reshooting the MLS photos.

Upper cabinets: Cut in 4 pieces, dowled back together, added glass found in neighbor's trash can. Used leaded glass strips and liquid lead for illusion

Toaster oven: Disassembled and painted with engine paint

Shelf over sink: Corbels found on offer up. Found barnwood to match.

Floor: hold on, I'll get to it.

The fridge was the first thing to go when we moved in as it really didn't fit the space or stile. I sold it for the cash for the old O'Keefe & Merritt and ran gas to it.

Medical cart: hides the microwave

Added "dunno if it works" Sears Homart ebay fan vented up to roof to deal with oven heat.

Green shelf: part of Mom's elementary school cloakroam shelf

Fridge: free

Added paint to counter trim to thicken tile edge.

Cut vent lines and added feet to center counter.

Light: pieces from used building supply store

Yep. Painted the dishwasher. Easy sand and same cabinet paint. No issues.

Made a flip up counter extension for the old mixer and other food prep since the above counter cabinets make the counter space so short.

Curtains: Etsy 1940's flour sack cloth with goodwill sheet for fringe. Thanks to Mom for the sewing.

Stained glass transom added.

Ceiling: Graham and Brown Beadboard wallpaper (2nd hardest part next to floor) + free water damaged baseboard cut down for reuse above.

Faucet: Watermark Fixtures

1931 fridge in mudroom/studio - cheap couldn't turn down find for wife's paints

False board and batten on studio walls (concrete bender board on smoothed plaster)

Floors: Marmoleum MCT Black and Polar. Hardest part, most expensive, biggest investment.

Should have found a 3rd person, but Gentleman Steve and I with a borrowed roller made the end result look professional. Who can remember now about all the cuss words, chagrin, and the #@>% +!&*^~! ^&*%$ing cleanup?

I'll add some messy during-photos here in a bit.

Comments (93)

• teeda
    last year

Oh my! You have done an amazing job. Please share more photos of your home at some point!

Farley McDougal thanked teeda
  • Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks again peeps.

@KW PNW Z8 Thanks so much, that really means a lot. No final yet on the bookcase. I took on some other stuff in the interim.

@baldwilm Thanks muchly! It was an over the cabinet one we used for a bit but I couldn't bring myself to cover the cabinet now. I drilled a couple holes in it and put it under that spot: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00932UU4M

Thanks again. The questions are fun for me to revisit the process too.

*I'm thinking of finding some chrome take-offs from an older fridge (maybe truck doors?) to bolt onto our nondescript fridge (until @Jilly comes through with her cold clout contact contribution). We had played with painting it since the dishwasher was so easy, but it would've just been too much. It plays well as a sleeper, and the subtle rounded edges already help some.

• C G
    last year

Gorgeous!

Farley McDougal thanked C G
  • Jilly
    last year

Do we all want green or white?

Farley McDougal thanked Jilly
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Jilly I’m liking the green - there’s something yummy about that shade! I did look at SMEG’s & see they come in the same red @Farley McDougal used for trash can & toaster oven. I like that color too but decided it’s too ”big” for the space. White is ok, red too much, minty green is just right!

Farley McDougal thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Whelp @Jilly, I reckon if you're going to go for the old you have to go green too or else what's the point. No halfways.

Found some chrome handles. I'm about to drill into my fridge now...

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Seems to have worked.

• Jilly
    last year

That’s awesome. 🙌

Food will taste better now, too.

I like how you’re demonstrating opening it. 😄

• Jilly
    last year

Oh, and what’s the next room? I’m addicted to this show now.

• amystoller
    last year

This is the single best kitchen renovation I have seen on Houzz since I've been a subscriber. Outstanding design with genuine sensitivity to the original kitchen, plus creative flair. Bravo! Bravissimo!

Farley McDougal thanked amystoller
  • partim
    last year

They've said it all above. Love love love it.

You have an eye for colour and proportion, and exquisite taste. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a thread as much as this.

The refrigerator has the same handles the one in the basement apartment we rented in Toronto in my university days. It gave us a shock whenever we touched it, so to open it we kept a dish towel close by to pull the handle. To close it we kicked it shut, with shoes on. Great memories.

Farley McDougal thanked partim
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Farley McDougal Those handles are fantastic! I can’t see any marks or traces of old holes for original handles - great job! I’d be afraid to drill into an appliance as you’ve done but with all of the innovative ideas you’ve implemented I guess this is no big deal! I just noticed the mixer on top of fridge in origianl picture - I’m sure my mom had that exact mixer….

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

@Jilly Small house. I'm running out of rooms.

Also, the wife had to tell me who the Gaines were.

The only remodel show I've seen was the couple of seasons of Grand Designs that were on Netflix. I liked it for the undertakings and because it's mostly drama-less.

Thanks a lot @amystoller and @partim. It's a bunch of to each their own for sure; I have plenty of friends (well, however many the normal human amount is) that either don't get it or can't think past resale instead of what our home is to us. One of my favorite things is when someone new comes over and gets the nickel tour, and while others may just quickly see the whole picture, certain people pick up on a couple little details personal to their brain wrinkles (plus then I can charge the full dollar tour price and just about never shut-up about the whole process).

Funny story about the handles, partim!

@KW PNW Z8 It's as easy as drilling wood screws into a Honda Civic to keep the bumper from falling off. It's a freeing experience and once you start, you won't be able to stop. Top coats are an illusion, open something up, accidentally have some parts left over, and make things your own!

• ptreckel
    last year

I wish there was a LOVE IT button on Houzz!!!!!!

• Jilly
    last year

Tell Mrs Farley hello!

Is it ok that I’m picturing this is your house and car?

I know it’s a decade later, but still! The McDougal’s cruising in their pink CaddyLac, looking for vintage decor.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Farley McDougal Running out of rooms…..okay - guess that’s inevitable. Sad for us but maybe good for you. I’m circling back to your first project that got all of us hooked and following your restoring mission - that secret staircase! Yes, I know I’ve already asked about the bookcase door that will hide it, but I am known for being persistent. 😊 I also remember you mentioned summer heat where you live so no work or play in the attic until late fall. I wondered though about your dining room ceiling restore which seemed the primary reason for creating the staircase. Is that still on your to do list? Repair of any kind of ceiling is not for the faint of heart! I noted the ornately detailed arch in your dining room as well as the kitchen - had to look that element up as haven’t seen before. I think it’s called a ”Draped Arch”? Very pretty!

• ellaphant
    last year

Love it, love it, love it!!! And yes to Grand Designs! I especially love how Kevin probes them on their financials. I think he would approve of your choices.

Farley McDougal thanked ellaphant
  • Kendrah
    last year

Holy smokes. You need to have a full feature story on Houzz. I get what a PITA the marmoleum install was. I personally would like to thank you for doing it. What a difference. This kitchen is such a winner. I have range envy and miss my old rental apartment O'Kefe and Merrit's.

Farley McDougal thanked Kendrah
  • ptreckel
    last year

OK, so how do we get people to notice this guy? And his work? And his quirky way of expressing himself? I am serious, you Houzz gurus out there. In a world of vanilla he is rocky road with sprinkles on top. In a hand made cone. Not one of these TV personality wanna-be’s with not an ounce of taste. This has been a fun, amazingly instructive, inventive, period sensitive, aesthetically spot-on, thread. Bravo!

Farley McDougal thanked ptreckel
  • Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8 Draped Arch? That sounds cool. New people at the house always ask me (taller dude), if I hit my head walking through the decorative passthroughs into the kitchen. I reply by asking them "as a habit, do you walk through the center of a doorway or along the edge?" Then they nod in understanding and assume I haven't.

As far as the ceiling, isn't it just some thicker drywall to match the plaster depth and then just a bucket or two of caulk? ;) I'll make Steve texture it.

@Jilly I'm more of a lifted mud covered, tie wire'd together truck with no headliner kinda guy.

@Kendrah Thanks for the Marmo comment. Yeah, if anyone runs into Q's about that, I won't cover over the calamities that that job tolled.

@ptreckel Melty blush

• Deanna
    last year

You had me at “unscripted pistachio on the whole thing” brilliant, creative and innovative

Farley McDougal thanked Deanna
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

So nice to hear from you @Farley McDougal ! You make that ceiling repair sound like a piece of cake. Don’t think so. What have you been doing in the rebuilding /remodel arena since we last heard from you? Have you started a new business venture in vintage remodel consulting?

• Mrs. S
    last year

I think he had me where he just knew that setting the tiles on the diagonal would embiggen the room. Bwahahahaha

Please, Farley. Will you PLEASE do yourself a favor and start a blog?? My goodness. What a huge talent you are. You would get sponsors and you could have giveaways, and we could all comment over there on your blog. Then you would get people who pay you to consult for them, and then HGTV offers you your own show, and with these Gardenweb/Houzz folks as your built-in audience, it would be a success from the start. It would embiggen your career and your bank account!

Farley McDougal thanked Mrs. S
  • Nina Handojo
    last year

What’s the mint paint color for your cabinets? Looking to paint mine a mint color too!

• cpartist
    last year

OMG! I'm so in love with your kitchen! Fabulous job!

Farley McDougal thanked cpartist
  • Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, CP.

Nina:

Cabinet color: Behr Prem Cabinet & Trim Enamel - Mother Nature / DE5625

Darker accent: Behr Urethane Alkyd Semi Enamel - Tranquil Teal / DE5703

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

I just stumbled onto this post, and like everyone else, I'm blown away by your talent and creativity. The kitchen and bath are just fabulous! I so appreciate those who purchase a vintage home and lovingly restore it rather than gut it and make it into something generic and boring. Which seems to be the norm these days.

Congrats!

Farley McDougal thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • eam44
    last year

What a beautiful kitchen, lovingly restored to be even prettier than it was originally designed to be - I love the transom. And in the bathroom post, well done - nice call on changing the door swing (I mean, yikes!). I don’t want to make you re-live the trauma, but I’d love to know about the floors. The end result is just wonderful.

Farley McDougal thanked eam44
  • felizlady
    last year

You have a very good imagination and a lot of creativity. You did a great job!

Farley McDougal thanked felizlady
  • J Steel
    last year

I am enjoying this so much!

Farley McDougal thanked J Steel
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

I posted before but will post again - I love that you added glass to the upper cabinets. Nothing opens up a set of flat cabinet fronts like adding glass. Great job!

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Well thank you again, Sir Norwood. Thanks Jsteel and Feliz. I really appreciate it.

Eam thanks for the descriptive likes. The bathroom floor tiles were from Home Depot. I believe we had to return about 20-30% for non chipped ones. I think it's around a 11" mesh. I'll always see our mistakes :) #ohwell

Thanks muchly Pro Diana. That means a lot coming from you peeps.

I still love it all, the creating, the brainstorming sessions, the outcomes, and the sharing what was given to us.

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Oh hey there. I didn't see you. Welcome back.

Totally not milking this post.

Maybe the wife and I have cosplayed before, but it was less freshly mopped past and more smudgy laden future.

Shake and bake.

All right, now we're totally milking it.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Farley McDougal - I love Mrs. McDougal‘s entire outfit! The dress, the shoes & most especially the apron! That mixer must be a Hamilton Beach & love the Pyrex too. Strawberries & cream - gotta love it! Nice to see you again!

• Jilly
    last year

This is amazing. Why don’t you two have your own show?! Take it on the road.

Your wife is such a beauty … love these pictures. They look like real vintage ads!

Thanks for sharing, it’s always fun seeing your posts!

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

Yay, so glad to see you and the missus! And I agree with Jilly.

Farley McDougal thanked chinacatpeekin
  • tozmo1
    last year

Love you guys!!!!!

Farley McDougal thanked tozmo1
  • chicagoans
    last year

Holy cow! Fantastic! LOVE your reuse and up-cycling approach, and the results are *chef's kiss*. Darling wife and awesome writing, too! "...went unscripted pistachio on the whole thing" yeah, I'm going to be trying to fit that in to my conversations somehow.

Farley McDougal thanked chicagoans
  • Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks muchly. I have more shots to process but I couldn't hold off any longer posting some :)

• anna_682
    last year

Reminds me of a Barbie Dream Kitchen. Love it!

• User
    last year

The pistachio cabinets are killing me, they are so cute! And yo didn't even need to change out the handles. Love it.

Farley McDougal thanked User
  • amystoller
    last year

Milk away. This is my favorite thread on Houzz.

Farley McDougal thanked amystoller
  • catdeco
    last year

Love, love ! What a fabulous kitchen! Thank you for adding the new photos too!

Farley McDougal thanked catdeco
  • Brian Hill
    last year

Awesome project with a very clear, very heartfelt point of view.

The floor was obviously worth the expense. I've become a big believer in the idea that if you are going to do any sort of period-inspired kitchen, you don't want to overlook the floor! So much area, and so much potential to emphasize the overall feeling you are trying to achieve.

And you nailed it.

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks!

@KW PNW Z8 Shoes were goodwill and spraypainted :)

Apron was an antiques store find the day before.

@Brian Hill That means a lot. Still love my floor.

And... just for the L of it all, today I took off my attic constructioner hat and switched it out for my Graphic Designer hair to work this up:

• cpartist
    last year

You are making me smile!

Farley McDougal thanked cpartist
  • Jilly
    last year

That’s awesome. 😍

I might have said this before, probably again after that, and maybe a third time, but I want y’all to have your own show.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

OMG! The Hamilton Beach mixer again! - the dawn of the food processor! And, the pink! And the mint! And again, Mrs. Farley Mac - wow! She must have an entire wardrobe of vintage aprons and polka dot dresses - or - could it be the Graphic Designer working the wardrobe magic? Regardless, Farley, your art is frameworthy! Thanks so much for the smiles! And, BTW, I totally agree with @Jilly - you must create a show for us! There is a market crying for your talents! The two of you - and that helper friend who you don’t name - Steve? - going around the country restoring 40’s & 50’s homes to their period charms! Love it!

• cheri127
    last year

Too adorable for words!!!!

Farley McDougal thanked cheri127
  • rebunky
    last year

Let‘s just all imagine going back in time and experiencing life with our mama’s (and Daddy’s) in this kitchen!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!