Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adaena_tray

Decorating Takes Time: Dining Room Year Three

Daena
2 years ago

So it turns out that designing a space doesn't happen overnight. I just could not get my dining room the way I wanted it. I posted about my dilemma a few years agohere. We had just moved in and I inherited dark purple gray walls that were doing nothing for the bright space. I tried to embrace the color and "make it work." When the 2020 lockdown happened, I used the time at home to repaint the walls. I've been zhushing it up ever since. Most of my furnishings and accessories are second-hand. I think I'm finally "done," but I'm a chronic rearranger / redecorater, so we'll see.

Here's how it started - bare, dark, sad and impractical (with bulky white slipcovered chairs that were a pain to keep clean)

And here it is now (my drapes still need hemmed):

Comments (47)

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Wow! It’s gorgeous! Everything looks wonderful, I really like your style. Swooning over the horse lamp.

Definitely worth the time you took. :)

Thank you for sharing, I’m enjoying looking at it all!

Daena thanked Jilly
  • Daena
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Fori Thank you! I hated the before color. It's what came with the house. I used 2020 to get fat too, but my house became prettier. ha ha.

• Daena
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jilly I really appreciate your kind words. The horse lamp came as a pair but - get this! - they were both going in the same direction and could not be reoriented. I had the pair sitting on the sideboard but they looked like they were trying to run away. The other one got demoted to the guest bedroom.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Ha!

Listen, I’ll do you a favor … I’ll take the extra lamp off your hands. I can come get it anytime.

😁

• teeda
    2 years ago

Love your style, love this room!

Daena thanked teeda
  • lisaam
    2 years ago

Your room looks very pretty—- love the wall color drapes, and the warmth that you’ve created. I think it unrealistic to expect most people to put together layered space quickly

Daena thanked lisaam
  • L A
    2 years ago

Warm, inviting with lots of personal touches, love it!!!

Daena thanked L A
  • User
    2 years ago

Pure charm! What a beautiful transformation. You should be very proud of what you've created.

Daena thanked User
  • M Riz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wow, I love that built in buffet. I like how you put together pieces that you love. That (to me) makes a design special. It went from a gloomy space to a light filled space that screams cheer. Love it 👍🏻👍🏻🤌🏻 enjoy it.

ETA: that table!

Daena thanked M Riz
  • elcieg
    2 years ago

Great job! The whole room shines and is so welcoming.

Please don't get mad at me...I love what you had.

Daena thanked elcieg
  • Rho Dodendron
    2 years ago

The room looks happier!

Same table and same chandelier with different shades.

Daena thanked Rho Dodendron
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Seeing the before/after I can see why you didn't like it. Now its bright, light, interesting, sweet..great job!!

Daena thanked arcy_gw
  • roarah
    2 years ago

So pretty!

Daena thanked roarah
  • kculbers
    2 years ago

Beautiful!! I love the colors!!

Daena thanked kculbers
  • jiddie
    2 years ago

Love it! So much personality. What color are your walls?

Daena thanked jiddie
  • Kate
    2 years ago

So beautiful, but I wish your drapes were fuller even as just side panels.

Daena thanked Kate
  • Yayagal
    2 years ago

What a wonderful room, I'm so tired of seeing white rooms with barely any charm. You have it all, it's fabulous!!!!

Daena thanked Yayagal
  • anna_682
    2 years ago

Nice room. I would add extra drape panels for more fullness. Otherwise, great!

Daena thanked anna_682
  • originaltuckerdc
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Great change! it now looks like the person who lives there has a personality…and a life! The bar area and cabinet is fun and different. Hit me with a board, but if that china cabinet is not an heirloom piece, I might be inclined to paint it. Good on you !

Daena thanked originaltuckerdc
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

Looks great. What color is the paint that you used?

Daena thanked eld6161
  • mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Wow, your room is stunning! It's an amazing skill to weave so many separate elements into such a cohesive style statement.

Can I ask what your wall color is? It's my favorite part of a beautiful room.

Daena thanked mcarroll16
  • la_la Girl
    2 years ago

LOVE this room - and I totally covet that vintage green cabinet!

Daena thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Looks great, think about getting cream colored candle covers for the chandelier and you may need one size smaller torpedo style candelabra bulbs so the shades sit down on the bulb better.

Daena thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

The room has so much character!

Daena thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Wow great job! It has so much character now!

Daena thanked FrameMyMirror
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

I love the changes ! It’s lively and lovely. I’d personally like to see fuller curtains to set off the welcoming vibe.

Daena thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    last year

This is magazine worthy, absolutely beautiful. The bar hutch is fantastic!

Daena thanked PRM Custom Builders
  • Yayagal
    last year

I wish she had given us the color of the walls. I can't find that tone anywhere. Of course, I'm looking on the internet which does not show the true color at times.

• Jilly
    last year

I have a treat for everyone! I stalked her profile. :D

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6008253/sears-kit-house-restoration-reveal

(She posted the DR color as SW Comfort Gray.)

How amazing is this house!

Daena thanked Jilly
  • susan49417
    last year

What a great room....full of personal touches and character. The built in buffet is to die for. Great job!

Daena thanked susan49417
  • User
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wall paint is so much happier, bright and fresh; looks great with the white built-ins. I live your mustachioed man above the bar. The drapery fabric picks up the table wood tone in such an interesting way: adds contrast to the space but adds warmth and pulls everything together so nicely. Love the white bamboo chairs. Beautiful and stylish room.

Daena thanked User
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wow! What an amazing leap from one style to another and SOOO charming! Magazine worthy!

The people who want to nitpic it to death, I want to see their rooms....

Daena thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Daena
    Original Author
    last year

@Jilly Thank you for stalking! My email was out of commission for a few days and I missed these messages. Yes, the dining room is SW Comfort Gray, which is less of a gray and more of a blue/green/gray. I'll have to post updated pics of the house sometime as I have since done a lot more to it!

• Daena
    Original Author
    last year

@Yayagal The color is Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray

• Daena
    Original Author
    last year

@mcarroll16 The wall color is Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray

• mcarroll16
    last year

Thank you!

• Daena
    Original Author
    last year

@susan49417 The built in buffet really makes this room, and is such a workhorse in terms of storage. It was painted white but I stripped the top and repainted.

• Sheila Brooks
    last year

Thank you for the paint color Daensa

• Kendrah
    last year

Stripping the buffet top was a brilliant choice, the wall color makes the floors really sing, and the curtains are the icing on the cake. You are quite talented.

• some_homebody
    10 months ago

God, I love a room with personality. Your dining room is DELIGHTFUL!

• erasistible
    10 months ago

You have given this room a lot of personality. I like the way you used a mix of styles to make it interesting and lively.

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    10 months ago

You have brought life back into this room. The amount of light that now streams through is stunning. The second hand furniture looks great in this space. Hard to believe this is even the same room. What is the color that you chose for the wall?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 months ago

If this is your style then I say you have done well.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    10 months ago

Absolutely gorgeous!

• salonva
    10 months ago

There is a lot of information in the posts here, and several times the gorgeous wall color has been named as SW Comfort Gray. I know that color because DD has it in her living room ( from previous owners) and it's the most chameleon like easy to live with color. It's a graybluegreen.

I really love the new ( old) chairs. I love the room entirely but boy what a beautiful room.

I'm hoping the renewed interest in the thread is not for spammers. We'll see I guess.

• PRO
    Aardvark Architecture
    10 months ago

Decorating does indeed take time! It's a major struggle to decide whether or not to release early photos of a project because the decor is so often lacking. But waiting one, two, three years! to take your professional photos? It just shows that you have to have patience if you're going to be an architect.