Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexreznik

Retro tile: keep or RIP?

Alex
4 years ago
last modified: last year

can't decide if I should totally remodel this bathroom or keep and enhance its retro look. would love your take the designers of the world!
Dear all - thank you all for your advices. We kept the tile, the floor, the tub. Replaced window, painted wall bright white (Chantilly white) and got beautiful fixtures and lighting from Koehler. I'll post some photos. Thank you all!

Comments (80)

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Workmanship and (often) materials were better back in the 20’s and 30’s. If everything is in good condition and everything works, you don’t need to make it look like 2019 happened in there. You could have someone crawl under the house to check the condition of the plumbing because pipes will fail before anything in the bathroom does.
    My favorite bathroom (our first 1920’s house was bought in 1968 for $22K) was done in light purple field tile, black tile trim edges and a row of purple-and-pink pansy accent tile. Everything was in perfect condition after 40 years. Our last 1920’s house was sold in 1986. Those bathrooms didn’t need to be fixed either after 60 years.
    The 1970’s house we have owned for 33 years has had both full bathrooms gutted and redone, and the two powder rooms, too, and the kitchen twice.

• wacokid
    4 years ago

Great tile, and dog, keep it.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

A yellow lab would pull it all together nicely.

• SJ Brown
    4 years ago

That is a stunning deco/retro bath, Do Not remove it!

Get rid of that sink and vanity and put in a really nice pedestal or one of those chrome framework pipe sinks, ads pizzazz and space. Don't listen to the construction"pro" when your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

• shwshw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Great bathroom. You could have some fun with decorating. I've seen people paint the walls and ceiling black and/or put some fun wallpaper on the walls.

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

Wonderful bathroom. Couple questions...

What is that at the top of the tile in the upper right hand part of the pic? Looks like a lightswitch and a white tile or something?

And is your bathroom window a slat style crankout? It looks like there's horizontal lines across the window that reminds me of that style window. If so, is it the window shutter, or the glass slat kind? If it's the glass kind, you may want/need a solid panel storm window for it when the weather gets cold if there isn't one available already.

• Lisa P
    4 years ago

Keep.......without question!

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

dear @beesneeds yes this window is q problem. we are replacing it with a regular window thinking a casement window with dark color inside. What do you think?

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

Heh, I'd rather keep the slat window and get a storm fitted than replace it if it's a old style glass slat that is still fully functional. I just think they are way more neat and to the bathroom style than a vertical casement window would be.

If you do want to replace the window still, I think a double sash would be better than a vertical casement.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

glad to see you said you are keeping the tile floors. do as suggested and change out the other items.

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@acm do you have any recommendations on the vallance or blinds to use on that window by any chance?

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@shadywillowfarm the pup took objection to being replaced with a yellow lab :-) said he fits the decor just as well...

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@groveraxle your pup is a looker too! :-)

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@everdebz we only got this one jaloise window in the entire house. based on some other comments it looks like we are keeping it... just need ideas on appropriate window treatments...

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@kmg11 thank you for your specific recommendations. I think I'll try that wall paper!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Alex, thanks for the compliment, but that's my actual picture. See, this is the best thing about the internet: no one knows you're a dog. ;-)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I would have killed for tile like you have.

Alex thanked cpartist
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Looks chic with charcoal walls.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

My mother’s bathroom has the exact same tile on the walls and floor! Post updates!

• shwshw
    4 years ago

Retro wallpaper

Alex thanked shwshw
  • Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dear @doveraxle thank you for the renderings. The Sweet Pea is particularly grateful for the pajamas.

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Decisions, decisions: 1) we are replacing the bathtub door with frameless glass one 2) getting new window treatment as recommended by @doveraxle 3) going with this pedestal sink from Kohler 4) this wall paper on one wall behind the mirror. Now just need to find light fixtures and the right medicine cabinet. Send suggestions please! And THANK YOU for all the advice and inspiration thus far!

Magnolia Home Tea Rose Wallpaper · More Info

Kohler Tresham 30" Pedestal Bathroom Sink with 8" Widespread Faucet Holes, White · More Info

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I love that wallpaper but wonder if it might be too much for the bathroom. I can see it more in a powder room. Love the sink. Had considered it myself but went with a similar style from DXV

• D N
    4 years ago

I love the sink.

We had the ones with the chrome front legs at many houses when I was growing up (Army brat), and my toes cringe every time I see them. Whack into them enough while barefooted, and you might see what I mean.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Keep.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Do yourself a favor and get samples of any wallpaper that you're considering.

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

Love the sink! Can you post a picture of the mirror wall? Maybe Grover can photoshop the wallpaper for you. Do you need a medicine cabinet?

I’ve been redoing four 60’s-70’s tile bathrooms, non of which had a tile floor. After the extreme pain of gutting the first one we decided to work with the tile on the rest. For the blue bath, I scrubbed the tile, re-grouted, re-caulked, added marble floor, fresh paint, vanity, stool and light fixture.

I‘m doing my pink one right now so it’s mid-project. Still need art, a rug, brass pulls and towel ring. I seriously considered wallpaper but decided on art so I can change it out.

I think yours will be fun and fabulous!

• shwshw
    4 years ago

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

bbtrix, your bathrooms look fabulous! Are those Ikea vanities? How were they to install? I imagine they're roomy enough to eliminate the need for a medicine cabinet.

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

Yes, they are Ikea vanities. They weren’t too bad to install-a little tricky with pre-existing plumbing to work around and not alter the drawers, but we managed. I love the storage! Tons of space. This is the 48 inch Godmorgon with 4 deep drawers. Even the 24 inch would have quite a lot of storage.

i really struggled with what to do with the pink powder room. I considered stenciling the tile, covering it up with a different tile, or ship lap, but ultimately my husband talked sense into me to keep the perfectly good tile that was already there and work with the color. I’m adding Pottery Barn vintage brass for the pulls, towel ring, and door hook.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I think that pale pink is quite lovely. Admittedly, I'm a colour lover, but I find pale pink to be quite pleasing in bathrooms as every skin tone looks good with it. If you've shared your bathrooms before, I must have missed them. Hope you'll do before and after threads.

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

It goes nicely with the light gray and brass. I need to start a thread. I’d love help with art and a rug!

Alex, I love the direction you’re going. The new glass shower door will make a huge difference. I know it’s hard to photograph bathrooms without a wide angle lens, but a shot of the sink wall will be great to get help with lighting. Do you need storage?

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

these are the additional views of the bathroom I am working on. I was thinking to use the wallpaper only on the wall with the mirror. and, yes I need storage so will have to be a medicine cabinet not just a mirror...

• Alex
    Original Author
    4 years ago

tartanmeup these bathrooms are really nicely done!

• st5330
    4 years ago

i like it

• T Dil
    4 years ago

!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Awesome bathroom! So glad to see that you are not changing the floor or wall tile.

And the black and white floral wallpaper looks fabulous!

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

Agree, love the wallpaper. I’d do all the room.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Shwshw nailed it with the black and white wallpaper ! I love how that looks.

• Lars
    4 years ago

Love all the tiles, including the wall tiles.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

If you like retro, keep it.. I like the application of the floor tile too. It has great bones for a unique and interesting space. I think reto can fit with many style tastes. Hopefully your personality shows in other rooms, which will make it all come together.

You can bring some color into the room in accessories.

I would love to see an Art Deco Wallpaper in there.

Inspiration ....

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

I would keep it. It's classic especially the floor tile.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

Just get rid of the curtains and you have a nice bathroom . Unless you want a large shower ...then you have to replace the tub ...but I think it looks great as is ....sans the curtains ..put it metallic horizontal blinds or nothing ...if you don't have neighbors ...

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

Ps , there is a great story on HOUZZ for you to look at , it's called BEFORE AND AFTER ( 6 bathrooms )

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I like the floor and the wall tiles. I'd get rid of that bathtub door and use nice curtains that help bring out the retro look.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

More Deco Wallpapers - so many to choose from. You can choose to blend your tile with the wallpaper by adding a variation of tile tone color. Is it light yellow field tile?

Or you can add a new colorway and new accent color to this classic bath.

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Following

• Marsha Luttrell
    last year

Keep it im keeping g

• PRO
    ZebraBlinds
    last year

The tiles look good with the rest of the color scheme in the bath. Unless they are damaged, I would keep them!